The Top 10 Alternative Newsweekly Covers of 2011
2011 was another great year for alternative newsweekly cover design. Papers big and small across the country put out a steady stream of covers that were by turns graphic, provocative, funny, and highly original. With the rise of publication cover sites like Coverjunkie and NASCAPAS (and SPD Grids!) these local and regional covers are now reaching an audience around the globe. Altweekly covers are produced fast and cheap, oftentimes by what are basically one-person shops, and they’re filled with passion and creativity and a sense of gonzo design. Here’s our list of The Top 10 Alternative Newsweekly Covers of 2011.
The Stranger, January 13, 2011 (Above). Published immediately following the shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Art director: Aaron Huffman
2. Seven Days (Burlington, VT), February 23, 2011. Designer: Diane Sullivan. A fold-in cover.
3. Portland Mercury, March 17, 2011. Art director and illustration: Justin “Scrappers” Morrison.
4. Weekly Dig (Boston), May 18, 2011. Art director and illustration: Tak Toyoshima. This cover was a preview of the supposed “end of the world” event.
5. San Antonio Current, June 1, 2011. Art director: Chuck Kerr, cake: Doreen Howarth, photograph: Josh Huskin.
6. LA Weekly, May 18, 2011. Art director: Darrick Rainey, photograph: Kevin Scanlon.
7. Riverfront Times (St. Louis), August 25, 2011. Art director: Tom Carlson, illustration: Peter Pranschke.
8. Seattle Weekly, June 15, 2011. Art director: Boo Davis.
9. Baltimore City Paper, December 28, 2011. Art director: Joe MacLeod, illustrator/cut paper artist: Annie Howe.
10. Miami New Times, October 27, 2011. Art director: Pam Shavalier, photograph: Giulio Sciorio.